Saturday, August 7, 2010

A New Leaf

I got the fall 2010 Boden catalog a few days ago and realized that I don’t need everything in it.  This is a first for me; I always spent hours poring over its pages of colorful velvet blazers, funky appliqued a-line skirts (see photo) and body hugging floral print jersey dresses.  Imagining myself draped in colors with names that summon smiles such as silver melange, damson, petrol and sulfur.  Prints with outrageous names like chocolate 40s floral, yellow puffball, and navy pop spot.  Great quality goods with reasonable prices.

I’m trying to buy less.  Soon I’ll be weeding out dozens of items that don’t jibe with Me 2.0 and not replacing them.  I’m moving towards classic styles in classic colors with funky accessories.  The pencil skirt will now become a staple, worn with turtlenecks, boots, flats, high heels, black tights.  Cashmere cardis, fitted jackets in good wool or corduroy over long sleeved T-shirts or fabulous button down shirts.  Great jeans.  The timeless sheath dress.

Goodbye to things that pill, stretch and fade.  Goodbye to trends and fads.  Goodbye to cute.  I am creating a system that makes decision making easy by narrowing choices.  No more buying it in every color.  No more buying because “it’s a good price.”  Everything has to have a real purpose.

You could say that I was inspired by the shopping diet (see July 24 post), or by my visit to Joan Shepp, but the reality is that I have too much stuff.  I have to turn over a new leaf.

No comments: