Saturday, October 9, 2010

Beloved

In this season of classic styles I started wearing a watch that my dad gave me many years ago.  It is a beautiful, timeless piece crafted by Wittnauer, one of the top watchmakers in the world.  I don’t recall whether or not I needed a new watch at the time of the gift but I was happy to dispose of an ugly, inelegant digital display piece that had embarrassed my wrist for months.

For the past few years this watch had been lying at the bottom of my jewelry box, lacking a working battery and a stylish watchband.  This watch is not a chronograph, doesn’t have a heart rate monitor or screechy little alarm.  It won’t tell me the time in Reykjavik but it adds an authentic new dimension to the look I’m cultivating.  Delicate, small gold framed rectangular face, Roman numerals, new black lizard band.  It is tiny on my wrist, delicate like a tattoo.  Sometimes I have to squint to see if it’s lunchtime.  Although I wore this watch every day for years, I’ve become accustomed to my sportier, funkier watches with their oversized, backlit faces and wider straps. 

I love this watch and had forgotten how much I enjoyed wearing it.  In this era of cell phone as timepiece, it is a privilege to have an accessory that lends an air of sophistication to my everyday life.  Thanks, Daddy.  I think of you every time I wear it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice watch, but the choice of band is what really makes it.