Saturday, April 16, 2011

…And the Right To Bare Arms

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!  No, seriously, why are you afraid to let me see them?  Tattoo regret?  Third eye growing out of the forearm? 

I’ve had enough of women hating their arms and staying covered even during the steamy summer months.  Arms have been incredibly useful throughout our evolution.  They connect our hearts to our hands.  We use them to carry overflowing laundry baskets, cradle infants, lift grocery bags, caress lovers.  Our arms are symbols of our strength yet we treat them like naughty stepchildren.  We hide them, bind them.  I recently heard about arm “girdles” and had to wonder about the wearers’ levels of vanity or insanity. 

There is advice everywhere for women who want to hide their arms.  I hear women engaged in arm-bashing.  “Oh, I don’t wear sleeveless dresses any more,” seems to be a more common refrain for women over 30.  We need to adopt the men in Speedos’ devil-may-care attitude and let it hang, droop, and jiggle.  Jiggly arms are not important, and worrying about them keeps us from reaching true fabulousness.

Dancing your booty off at a wedding could mean removing your camouflage cardigan.  And guess what--your arms will be on display.  But check this out, nobody is gonna be looking at them.  They’ll be looking at your ecstatic smile as you lose your inhibitions to the groove line.  Will you keep the sun from smiling on your arms while playing beach volleyball?  When you’re gardening?  Toddlers won't care if your arms are toned or flabby as long as you give them frequent snuggles and kisses. 

If you really want to change the shape of your arms, I can recommend some exercises.  But if you want to engage in more self-love, raise your hand.  Notice that your arm is attached.

1 comment:

Ayn said...

Thank you Sweet Heart. Of course, I really don't care about my jiggles and if other people did, that's their prerogative. Who am I to judge or be judged?