Saturday, April 18, 2009

Falling Into The Gap

Went to The Gap today to exchange a pair of roll waist yoga pants. The roll waist is hot this year, topping skirts, capris and pants. It's comfy and forgiving of a stromboli lunch. You can find inexpensive roll waist items at Lands' End, Target, Athleta (catalog and website), The Gap and countless other places.

But, I digress. I went to The Gap to exchange a pair of yoga pants. I hadn't been a fan of The Gap for years; every visit pulled me into an undertow of boring. Recently, though, I read about the anointing of the American designer Patrick Robinson as the last gasp savior for the chain. I read about his background, style sensibilities and vision, and his plan to put The Gap back into every fashionista's closet.

So, I watched and waited. Over the past year I occasionally wandered into the store to kill time and yawned as I wandered among the shelves of white shirts, salmon colored sweaters and racks of cropped khakis, straight leg khakis, khaki skirts, wide leg khakis and shamefully unsexy jeans. When would Mr. Robinson move his neighborhood a little closer?

I'm happy to say that he has arrived. Today I was knocked off my feet by baby blanket soft cafe au lait wrap sweaters with ruffled collars (also available in white or navy). Cotton knit little black dresses that are flattering to every figure and allow you to express your inner-Audrey. Summer weight jewel-colored t-shirts with cuffed sleeves, sherbet colored jeans that can be sneaked into the "no jeans" workplace. Stylish and comfortable cotton knits that are perfect for travel whether to the Jersey shore or to Paris. Gypsy-inspired skirts -- shorter, with subdued flounces. Trimmed down for today's body conscious woman.

These are jazzed up but not tricked out basics for secure adult women. Items that flatter and fit and have found their way into this fashionista's closet. Thanks, Patrick!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Loving the blog! I share your ennui/disappointment with the Gap of late (I was such a fan back in the day), but you have inspired me to give it another chance.

Time4Grace said...

It is through your posts that I will learn about fashion. You will be my mentor. Thank you for your wit and your eye. LB

Stylista said...

Thanks, Lynda. So many clothes, so little time!

Stylista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen M said...

This blog is a lot of fun to read, Linda.

I haven't been to the Gap in years. Maybe I'll check it out again. On your say-so.