Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sixteen Hundred Below


I recently visited a retro clothing and antique furniture shop in South Philly. Sixteen Hundred Below is in the basement of a carpet shop at the now hip intersection of Tasker Street and East Passyunk Avenue. The designer/buyer, Maria Furey, is a warm, amiable South Philly native who will make you feel like an old friend. This fun little shop stocks clothing from the 1950s, '60s and '70s, as well as good old-fashioned furniture and housewares that will remind you of Sundays at Aunt Lucille's house in 1964.

You should know that I don't like cookie-cutter looks. "Me-too" is not me. I prefer to put a personal stamp on my outfits, and I'm drawn to places where I can find playful but versatile pieces for my wardrobe.

At Sixteen Hundred Below I found funky double knit dresses, some jazzed with gold lame or synthetic jewels that my mod mom would have worn in the mid-60s, silky shirt dresses perfect for a candlelight dinner at home, and delicate, gauzy pastel nightgowns like those that my happily single Aunt Julia wore each evening. Their menswear collection skews 1970s. Burgundy velour suits, flowered or plaid shirts, and jackets that will remind you of Starsky and Hutch or The Streets of San Francisco. All clothing is clean and pressed and neatly hung in strategic spots around the store.

I combed each rack thoroughly and found an extremely cool black handknit cardigan with rows of fat black loops at the collar and cuffs that are reminiscent of the puffs on a pampered poodle's ankles. I also found an absolutely amazing black leather circle skirt. The hem hits the lower calf and the look is very flattering. I'm planning to wear it with my black Tony Lama boots in the fall. I can't wait to see what her vintage coat collection will be this Winter!

1 comment:

tony lama boots said...

Thanks for this nice information! because i like to know that there is really good information are provide by you!many post have good content but they have no proper sense to make them in good form, here you have make that point so nicely.And i like to know more about tony lama boots.can you give me some idea for that?so i can get good tony lama boots.