Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shoe Be Do

I took a step back in time with one of my most recent shoe purchases.  Had to--still can’t understand the appeal of the current Lego-land shoes or the desire to mince along city streets in 6” heels. 

I wrote about the style ascent of women’s wingtips last summer (see July 11 2009 post) and spent the months following that post drooling over fuchsia patent, black and white, or silver wingtips by Robert Clergerie, Kenneth Cole, and Charles Tyrwhitt.  Gorgeous shoes that would force brown bagging every day for the second quarter of 2010. 

A recent article in More magazine on the exquisite former model Veronica Webb featured her in a cute pair of cream colored wingtips with a sunrise high price tag.  I wanted that look and resolved to scour the Internet to find it for a sunset low price.

I was a fan of Bass Weejuns as a teenager and nubuck lace ups as a thirty-something, so it was a small leap to the GH Bass website in search of an affordable oxford.  I found a collection of two-toned saddle shoes that are reminiscent of my (rebellious) Catholic school days.  I chose a dune/wheat combo with a perforated upper and the traditional red sole.  They’re so uncool that they’re cool!  I’ll wear them with jeans and other slim pants this spring.

No comments: