Sunday, March 7, 2010

Won Over

The February issue of More magazine ran a brief article on Tracy Gardner, the President of J. Crew.  Having recently shared my opinions about some of the retailer’s new offerings (see my January 20 and February 20 posts), I read the article to see if she had a good excuse for some of their marketing decisions.  Of course, the interview didn’t touch on the issue of $79 cut offs or $168 skinny jeans with a paint splattered-finish.

What I found instead was a thoughtful over 40 fashionista who loves colorful classic looks with an urban edge.  She believes in timeless versatility and displayed it in the items she wore for the article.  She discussed evolving into your style and “creating the unexpected” look.  And she looked fabulous!  The article also featured available items that are sharp attention-getters such as a water color inspired pencil skirt, a rainbow of embellished tees and tanks, and the sleekest of slim pants.

A couple of days after reading the article I popped into the Center City store and found the clothes that were featured.  I was smitten.  These are looks for women of all ages and stages in life.  I found the classic pencil skirt in a variety of unusual patterns and colors.  Their collection of pants is far from ordinary.  J. Crew now carries fabulous costume jewelry, and their wedding collection is still one of the coolest, most flattering collections that doesn’t have a high end designer name attached to it.

So, now I’m looking at J. Crew with a more favorable eye.  It’s pushing me towards a more sophisticated spring, sans the paint splattered jeans, of course.  For more gorgeous items, visit their website.

No comments: