Thursday, January 2, 2014

Style Goals 2014

Welcome to 2014--another year of sartorial splendor! I’ve set fitness, artistic, and professional goals, and style goals are no less important. I took a hard look at my closet and re-evaluated my favorite looks to reach these goals:
 
No more body hugging pants. So long, skinny jeans, hello boyfriend fit. Slim-fit dress slacks don’t work for me, either--I’ve got muscular thighs and a bit of booty. The slim-fit always ends up bunching and pulling; I always end up feeling self-conscious. So, I’m choosing a more tailored trouser, and racking up the retro with vintage high-waist pants. Body hugging wear is for the gym.

Continue to plan ahead for the work week and have outfits ready to haul my sleepy self into every morning. I spend about an hour each Sunday playing stylist to myself. I put together five fresh outfits (and yes, that does include footwear, accessories, and denims for Casual Friday). This is a major stress reliever for someone who never jumps out of bed ready to greet the day.

Wear gray and cocoa brown together more often. I put this combination together at the suggestion of one of my co-workers and it completely rocked my socks off. I lost count of how many compliments I got that day! 

Thin the sweater collection. Say bye-bye to dated fits and color repetition. How many black sweaters does a women need? Do sweaters that barely reach my waist really keep me warm? These are the two basic questions that will guide the upcoming sweater purge.

Commit to red lipstick for most occasions. It’s amazing how lipcolor lights up your face. The right, bright red can make you look like a million bucks. I rock the red most weekdays and often on Saturdays. I love the insta-glam I get from a couple of swipes of Bobbi Brown Burnt Red or the jolt that comes with an application of No. 7 Love Red. Of course, when I wear red lips I pare back on everything else, only adding mascara and powdering in the brows. I want to keep it simple, minimal, and classically gorgeous.

I’m revisiting my most favorite colors, styles, and looks to develop a silhouette that is more flattering, wearable, and exciting. I can reach these goals! 2014 is gonna rock!

No comments: