Sunday, October 11, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Our top style story in today’s NY Times is that Eileen Fisher, the clothing line for mid-life women looking to blend into the woodwork, is seeking a younger, more fashionable customer. If you’re not familiar, Eileen Fisher is a line of loose, uninspiring layers in muted colors. Her clothing line is like chamomile tea. Calm, comforting, no zing, no spice.

Traditionally, her line has not celebrated the female form. It wouldn’t get you second glances as you sashayed along the boulevard. Many of her items reminded me of the wardrobe that Bea Arthur’s character, Maude, wore in the celebrated 1970s sitcom. Eileen Fisher didn't get the younger designers. Eileen Fisher was not sexy.

Well, it appears that Ms. Fisher may be looking for somebody like me now. I’m a fashionable mid-life woman who wants clothing that celebrates her form. I want to show off my waistline and well-toned calves. I’m not afraid of leggings and I wear knit dresses. I’ve given away or shortened my mid-calf length dresses and skirts. My blouses and jackets are fitted.

Her plan is to give her line “stronger attitude.” Thrift stores, resale shops and other discounters give me the opportunity to craft my own look and slip into my attitude-of-the-day. Maybe she can offer some alternatives. Or can she?

I checked out her prices in the latest Garnet Hill catalog. Her new knee-length wool scoop-neck dress sells for $218. The model also sported leggings that go for $88. Her multi-fiber body conscious long cardigan goes for $198. Three weeks ago I bought two pair of winter-weight leggings from Express for $34. Last week Daffy’s had knee length wool dresses in scrumptious colors for $60. You can see where I’m going with this. If Eileen Fisher wants the average mid-life woman as a customer in this economy, she’s got to make us feel as if we’re getting a serious bargain for some serious style.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always thought it was ironic that Eileen Fisher clothes didn't look good on women who are a bit overweight -- those cuts just make us more shapeless, or worse, poofy. And the middle-aged women with slim figures have lots of other choices of interesting clothes and have nothing to hide in all those drapes. At least Chico's (same age demographic, less expensive) mixes colorful prints with dark solids and flowy cuts with simple, fitted items, so a woman can emphasize the part(s) of her that look better in something tailored, all without looking dowdy.