Sunday, October 18, 2009

Seasonings: A Taste of What’s Hot for Fall

Boots - Love the rounded toe and stockier high heel - more comfortable and walkable than the pointed toe and railroad spike heels of the more recent collections. Ankle boots are hot, with the slouchy look a favored variation. The over-the-knee boot is the most sizzling look for the season. It can be worn over skinny jeans, with leggings, minis, tights and tunics. It’s pretty damn sexy, but if you’re not ready to commit to the look, the classic knee high boot is a sure bet. (Style tip: if you’re still wearing scuffed boots from the 1990s with a 2” broad chunky heel, toss those babies out immediately.)

Women’s Wing Tips - Although they remind me of the shoes that nuns wore, I love the practicality of these sexy mid- and high heel oxfords. They are available everywhere in suede, tweed, and patent leather and in lush nature colors such as deep berry, black cat, mud, forest green. My fantasy pair would be from the perennially unaffordable shoemaker Robert Clergerie. I’ve seen his low heel oxford in hot pink and in silver metallic. Naturalizer has styles in a wide range of sizes all under $100.

Cardigans - Longer lengths in cashmere, cotton, mohair, lambswool, merino, acrylic. Shades from sky to earth, as well a few unnatural shades that will appeal to those who are looking to the eighties for inspiration. Wear them long and body hugging. Belt them to show off your waistline. Cardigans can be found everywhere, from Old Navy to H&M to J. Crew to Bloomingdale’s and all over the on-line shopping websites (one of my favorites is BodenUSA).

Tights - Tights with boots. Tights with high heeled oxfords. Tights with ballet flats and slinky little tunics. Tights with floral print dresses. Tights with peep toe platforms. Lacy tights, plaid tights, bohemian black tights. They’re everywhere, get a pair! Tights are far less worrisome than pantyhose and are warmer and chicer. Don’t bother with department stores; the best deals on tights are at TJ Maxx and Daffy’s.

The Boyfriend Jacket - Just another term for a more flattering length and fit. It is a distant relative of the oversized 80s linebacker jackets that I referenced in my October 2 post. The shoulder is built up a bit, but the jacket is shaped to fit a woman’s smaller frame and the hem hits at the lower hip. It’s a more forgiving fit than the shrunken jackets of past seasons, and will allow for more comfortable layering.

Gray - I love color, especially on the walls of my home and the art that adorns them, but I'm loving gray this season. It was the color for fall in Paris and two of the four clothing items that I bought there were in shades of gray. Slate, silver, kitten, pearl, pewter -- I love them all. Every shade is sophisticated and soft. There are shades of gray to flatter every skin tone, and it's a great backdrop for lively punches of color. Try a pearl gray sweater with a hot pink pencil skirt, or a slate gray knee length sweater coat over a blue or green flouncy floral print dress and boots.

These are just a few tasty morsels from the fall fashion buffet. Want more? Grab a trusted friend and head downtown! I'll meet you there.

3 comments:

Karen M said...

I used to have a fair amount of grey clothing, but none of those things fit me anymore. I need more grey.

LA White said...

Go for it! In my case, it looks great with my hair.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tips! Would you consider organizing a shopping trip? You know . . . like being a personal shopper?