Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch Changes

One of the stores that I've ignored for years, Ann Taylor, is changing its stripes. Ann never really spoke to me -- it was a bit too conservative. I like items that are conceived with attitude and born to make a statement. Ann did business suits well. They did khakis and noncontroversial casual wear well. Their look worked well with lawyers, accountants and other glass-ceiling busters.

More recently Ann heard that glamor is not a bad word. A new design team revived their offerings for women who want a bolder, more high style look with modern colors like espresso, port and plume. I was surprised to find the interview suit of my dreams on their website; a suit that would get my narrow little foot in the door of More magazine as a contributing editor. (Ok, so I daydream a lot.) The jacket is black and gray herringbone tweed with an oversized notch lapel that would showcase a graceful neck and beautiful face, and a nipped-in waist with a peplum hem. It is paired with a matching pencil skirt. They also carry the perfect platform pump to wear with the suit.

The website boasts a collection of LBDs in various styles -- sleeveless, strapless, sweater -- all sexy and slim to the body. I found a lipstick red puffer jacket that is perfect for nights out that definitely raises one's fierce quotient. The coolest thing that I found on their website is a black pencil skirt adorned in a cascade of black grosgrain ribbon ruffles. Ann Taylor? It looks more like Jason Wu.

They're getting there. Shoe booties. Boyfriend jackets. Stilettos. Ruffled cardigans. Nice stuff! Many of these items are now closet staples for the average fashionista. Ann's prices are moderate for some, pricey for others. But window/website shopping is free, and now that they have my attention, they'll see me at "clearance" time.

No comments: