Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rockin’ the Casbah

Style is universal. Style is how you move through the world. It is the thumbprint that you leave, how people remember you. My hobby is style. I love to be surrounded by beautiful things, I love to carry and wear things that look and feel wonderful. Don’t we all?

I recently found Hijab Style, a style blog for Muslim women who wear hijab. It’s straight outta London and it rocks! Hijab is Arabic for “cover” and is the head scarf worn by Muslim women. It can also refer to the modest Muslim style of dress. Muslims differ as to how hijab dress should be enforced, but the blogger for Hijab Style is a fierce Muslim fashionista who shows us how to blend high style and modesty. The writer writes extensively and knowledgeably about contemporary fashion, contemporary Muslim women and the crossroads where they meet.

The blog features sections on evening wear, featuring hijab-friendly western designers such as Max Azria, Valentino, and Giambattista Valli. Sections on office wear feature items from Topshop and Ralph Lauren. There is coverage of Jakarta Fashion Week, street style from Dubai, and shout outs to Islamic clothing lines that explode with color and whimsy. My favorite items are the show stopping BQ sunglasses, which are described as a “new brand of shades with a chic twist on tradition.” BQs claim to be the “first sunglasses especially tailored for the piously dressed women in the Persian Gulf.” They appear to be a stylized mash up of racing goggles and a superhero mask.

This blog is fun and extraordinarily eye-opening; I could spend hours there. I'm not trading in my jeans or sundresses, but I gained a new perspective on Muslim women and the liberating aspects of the hijab. Check it out here.

All quotes from Hijab Style blog.

1 comment:

Time4Grace said...

Great find. From time to time I have observed the varying dress styles of Muslim women and wondered how they might display flair and individuality in a manner suitable to their religion. I will now look upon them with fresh an informed eyes. Thanks Linda.