Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Eyes Have It

I dipped my toe into the eyeliner river a couple of months ago - it seemed like to right thing to do. I wanted to jazz up my look and accentuate a positive feature. Over the years I had tried lots of powders and pencils to give my eyes depth and pump up the lashes. Powders disappeared after 30 minutes; pencils ended up caked in the crease of my eyelid or a smudge on a tissue. Most recently I used L’Oreal’s HIP (high intensity pigmented) liner pencils which hung tough for about four hours then evaporated.

I have oily skin and limited time and patience. I was about to give up on smoky come-hither eyes when I heard about Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner. Bobbi Brown lipstick is almost always in my make-up bag and I love her color palette. The cosmetics are expensive, but I was willing to give the eyeliner a go.

I popped into Macy's, and at the Bobbi Brown counter I found some of prettiest colors I’ve ever seen for eyes; most of them are beautiful on darker skin tones! I bought caviar ink, a deep black/brown, but I also recommend jet black, indigo ink, granite ink, and black plum ink. It’s not cheap, but it’s worth bringing lunch from home for couple of days.

Here’s what’s fabulous about it – it lasts through a sweaty two-hour workout. It’s water-resistant and grease-resistant. It’s easy and quick to apply with the right brush. Now, here’s the key – don’t spend $25 for their ultra fine brush. Go to the drugstore and get a brush for $5. I recommend Sonia Kashuk for Target’s angled eye shadow brush.

Get the right tools, get the right look.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I too am a Bobbi Brown fan! have been for several years. And yes the colors, on/for dark skin, are fabulous.

Glam Gals said...

Eyeliner is my favorite makeup trick. Many women do not feel comfortable putting it on. It does take practice for sure...however if you are a novice, try the Bobbi brown eyeliner in a pot. It is easy to put on and take off if you goof up!!
Also, depending on your skin tone, you want to not go too dark if you have lighter skin. Love the deep tones you suggest for darker skin!!

The Glam Gals (from Fabulousafter40.com)