Friday, July 27, 2012

Good Deeds

Good deeds can go beyond telling your best friend that she has spinach in her teeth. Here’s a fabulous example from my professional life.

On a Tuesday morning in June a co-worker asked me to listen to a voice mail she’d received. The message was from a homeless high school student she’d befriended. The girl explained in a teary voice that she had nothing to wear to her graduation that afternoon and asked Peggy if she could help. She had earned a full four-year scholarship to a small private college and wanted to attend her graduation to mark this milestone.

I knew I’d be able to find something for her at my favorite resale spot, The Wardrobe Boutique. The store opened at 11:00 AM. We hatched a plan for the girl to meet us at the office. At 9:00 AM we returned her call, got her dress and shoe sizes, and I was dispatched to do that stylist thing.

At the boutique I sifted through a rack full of trendy floral and tribal print dresses, considered a few adorable mini dresses and settled on a sweet little dress from The Limited with a cream and black windowpane check skirt, empire waist and a black halter top. Perfect for a teenager! I found a pair of gently used Coach black patent leather platform pumps that would be smashing with the dress, and my wonderful ladies at the boutique donated jewelry to add a little sparkle.  My agency picked up the tab for the entire outfit.

Meanwhile, back at the office, our soon-to-be high school grad became the center of attention. She had been given a bouquet of fresh red and white carnations and a “Happy Graduation” card upon arrival. She was surrounded by beaming staff members and wore a bright smile as wide as the Grand Canyon.

I pulled the goodies out of my bag, and my colleagues exclaimed over how cute the dress was. Unfortunately, the dress was too small, so Peggy and I grabbed our happy hostage and dashed back to the Boutique.

I found another dress while our student looked around, a cute little black flapper-inspired mini with an adorned neckline. It fit perfectly and showed off her mile-long legs. She loved it!!  Boutique staff selected a pair of funky dangly earrings to accessorize. Once we got her properly dressed Peggy and I hustled her up to Temple University where the graduation ceremony would take place.

I smiled as she gracefully strode away from us into Mitten Hall. She was absolutely gorgeous for her graduation. She’s off to a promising start, and we’ll be “mother-henning” her for the next four years. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Christine Otis said...

Absolutely love this story!

The best of giving...making someone else happy, which has made the happiness expand outwards to others