Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Big Red & Me


Food, beverages, books, notebook, pens, makeup case, shoes, umbrella, sunglasses, business card holder, wallet, cell phone, and a tin of Altoids. Sometimes a belt, or deodorant for really sticky summer days.

I carry a lot of stuff. I have long commute to a job in a remote location so I carry most of this stuff with me everday. There was a time when I carried as many as three bags a day. Although the bags were stylish, I felt like a pack animal. It's hard to glide elegantly along the city streets when you've got shoulder straps criss-crossing your chest a la Rambo.

I tried to manage by purchasing several larger purses. The orange patent leather tote--very cute but not very secure. The big black faux leather structured bag--great looking but the cheap fabric lining is in shreds which makes it difficult to find smaller items. I carried an enormous, indestructible black nylon Lands End tote for a couple of years--it was functional but boring. The coolest of the big bags was the gold metallic tote that got me through summer school at Wharton in 2005. I could carry a toddler in it.

Then Big Red entered my life. I spotted it at Loehmann's in Drexel Hill about a month ago on a day when little else in the store inspired me. It was lying in a pile of handbags on a "sale" table buried under putrid pink purses, citrus colored clutches, and an occasional basic black shoulder bag. It caught my eye by flashing touches of chrome, and beckoned me to stroke its soft tomato-red pebbled leather. I unzipped it, peeked inside and found a sturdy cotton gabardine lining, two zippered compartments and a slot for my business cards. The space inside was cavernous--a day tripper's dream come true. I knew that I could find a place for it in my closet.

The price was right, and the color works with everything that I own. The flexible style works well with suits, jeans, and dresses. The adjustable shoulder strap presents carrying options, and I only carry one bag now!

I've missed Loehmann's presence in Center City since it closed two years ago. I spent hours in their Chestnut Street store trying on purses, stalking overpriced bags by Michael Kors, Furla, Coach, and others while waiting for a price drop. So, if you're looking for a great bag at an amazing price, jump into the Jeep and head to the Hill--Drexel Hill, that is. You might get lucky, too!


1 comment:

Karen M said...

I definitely need a new totebag. And something for food, too, since I carry both breakfast and lunch most days. I just don't think one bag can do it all, but at least I could look better.

I'll have to check out Loehmann's. Thanks for the tip.