Saturday, May 23, 2009

Going to the Max


Talk about cover ups! One of my favorite items of the season is the maxidress/skirt. How wonderful is it? You can hide your lower imperfections - or unshaved legs - in favor of showing off toned arms, a sexy back, or a gorgeous swan-like neck. I have seen fabulous maxidresses at Macy's, Daffy's, Arden B, Ann Taylor Loft, and countless other stores and websites, many at wallet-friendly prices. They are available in zesty summer colors and patterns, and you will find one that looks absolutely smashing on you. It is casual elegance at its best.

I love maxiskirts in ethnic prints and gypsy florals, but I bought one in solemn black cotton jersey. It's got swish and I will be wearing it with attitude - and gladiator sandals - but on its own it's not an attention getter. This skirt is for Casual Fridays at the office. I'll wear it with a body skimming t-shirt layered over a tank top, throw on a "LOOK AT ME" necklace and carry on with the day. The skirt will flutter with every step and make me look as if I'm floating along the city streets.

This look flatters most women. It's comfortable, sexy but not vulgar, and it keeps the guys guessing. I wore them in the 1970s to high school graduations and college classmate weddings. My favorite was a one shoulder cotton jersey number that I wore to Linda Casey's wedding to a young Navy captain in 1974. I was barely out of my teens and the event was grimace inducing, but the dress got attention. (Probably because it was a very conservative church.)

So, if you're stumped for the perfect look for cousin Mimi's wedding, Jess's graduation party, or the charity garden party, consider going to the max. Just be sure to try it on in a mirror before committing. You may have to adjust for your height or body shape to ensure that your new maxi doesn't wear you!

2 comments:

Time4Grace said...

Sounds like a plan. Next shooping trip, I will check it out.

Karen M said...

I have some longer skirts, but they are not as body skimming, since they have gathered waists, and are prints. I have pants that do similar things, but they're not quite the same.