Monday, May 18, 2009

This Old Rag?

Comfort clothes. Baggy sweatshirts, shapeless old sweaters, mangy bathrobes. Faded colors, flaked off letters, holes, strings, missing buttons and broken zippers. Frayed collars, cutoff sleeves. Old friends. Stretched out, broken-in soft. Cozy. Non-binding, forgiving.

Everyone has a couple of these pieces. Stuff you wear on snow days. Bad days. Need-a-hug days. Broken heart weekends. These pieces won't lengthen your legs, suck in your gut or boost your bust, but they will never end up in a landfill.

I have an old cherry red terry bathrobe with strings hanging from the collar, sleeves and belt. In addition to an embroidered bouquet of daisies on the pocket it also sports a quarter-sized hole at the right shoulder seam. But it's warm and thirsty like a bath towel, always welcoming. The robe has no stories to tell, has never lead a double life. It's never traveled outside of the dryer.

I bought it many years ago to wrap myself in after summer showers. When asked if I plan to replace it, my response is "not really." I usually find wads of tissues, earplugs, tweezers, and eyeglasses in the pockets. Never a vial of Chanel No. 5 or a Cartier "Love" bracelet.

It's shabby but familiar. My old friend. I guess I could trim the strings and repair the hole, but who does it have to impress? It's here for me when I'm tired and hungry. It's here when I can't decide, when I don't want to decide, when I couldn't care less, and when I care too much.

What's your favorite piece of comfort clothing? What do you wear when you're diving into a bowl of your favorite comfort food? What do you reach for when you're recharging at home - relaxing your head? I'd love to know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My old, black (now off-black) French Connection sweater...not quite turtle, not quite cowl-necked... an incredible cotton/linen/silk blend...just long enough to cover what needs to be covered. I wore it all over Paris back in '94 when it was still relatively new. I still pull it out a few times every winter.