Sunday, May 3, 2009

Aw-w-w Chucks!


My mom wouldn't let me wear Chuck Taylors when I was growing up--she thought they were ugly. She preferred Keds, so that's what I wore. They were cute, ladylike, and came in every color in the rainbow. Through the years I had pairs in navy, red, aqua, white and spring green, but my heart belonged to Chucks. It was like dating Steady Freddy but lusting after Randy Ricky.

Chucks are perenially cool--the shoes of basketball stars and rebels. On the street they were called "gang wars." I bought my first pair as an adult in the 1980s, and have kept at least one pair in my shoe collection at all times over the past 25 years. I have eight pair in rotation right now, including chocolate leather high tops and licorice black leather low tops for winter cool. Last summer, while shopping at Filene's Basement in DC, I found "superstar" Chucks--white canvas sprinkled with dozens of tiny silver stars--and added them to my collection.

I bought another pair last weekend. They are black canvas with tiny multi-colored loops scattered all over. Got them at Kohl's. I'm not a Kohl's shopper, but I was chasing a skirt that I saw in Vogue. Didn't find the skirt, but I found a pair of funky red high top Chucks in the men's shoe department.

So, why Chucks? I prefer a little sass with my casual wear. They look great with jeans and add a rocker's edge. I rarely wear gym shoes if I'm not at the gym. Why so many pairs? They're like Lays potato chips--I can't have just one!

When I was in Rome last year I was surprised to see that Chucks were everywhere--worn with very skinny jeans on young men and women. I'm sure that I'll see them on the streets of Paris when I'm there this summer. If you want to see them in action, check out old NBA footage or the film version of West Side Story.

3 comments:

Time4Grace said...

I love Chucks too, but I don't have any. I have had this thing about wearing flat shoes. A woman once told me that a shoe with a heel will always make me look slimmer. That is my choice - to be slimmer and, in the meantime, look it. One day, I will rock Chuck's like never before. Until then, I am cool with waiting and reading about other's Chuck love. Thanks.

BJS said...

Oh lord, I have to get me some Chucks! I'm embarrassed to say I've never had a pair, and I think I should now that I'm 54! Thanks for the inspiration, Linda!

Sue said...

I just bought my first pair of Chucks and I'm in my 50s. I asked a hip looking young woman at DSW if I was too old to wear them and she assured me that I am not and that they are really cool. I love them-Navy blue-and now need more to go with other outfits!