Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cheap and Cheerful


A few summers ago I picked up an adorable black and white double knit polyester shift dress at Target. It was from the Isaac Mizrahi for Target line, a favorite. Sleeveless, fitted bodice, inverted front pleat, back zip. No ironing needed – always looks fresh. (Isaac has moved on to Liz Claiborne, and Target has not been the same for cheap and chic fans. Isaac always had the store’s most classic designs, and he created a distinctive style by fusing eye-popping color with timelessness.)

I’ve only worn the dress a few times because it needs a bit of tailoring. It still looked new when I pulled it out of the trunk this spring and hung it with my other summer dresses.

Earlier this year I bought a shamrock green double-breasted cotton cardigan from Old Navy. Three quarter length sleeves, slightly flared, hits at the high waist. I bought it anticipating my summer travels, long flights in cold airplanes, and chilly restaurants at home. Hung it in the cedar closet tucked away with my wool and cashmere.

One day during our moody rainy spring I needed a great work outfit that would lift me out of the doldrums. I dug out the Old Navy sweater and paired it with the Target shift, rocking the early 1960’s socialite look. I added a pair of killer black slingbacks, and raised the temperature of the outfit with Big Red (see May 27 post).

Got a bazillion compliments that day. Some loved the pop of the green, a color that I never before considered wearing. Others liked the dress, particularly the effortless style and always right black and white pattern. Here’s what’s cool – the dress was $30, and the sweater was $40. However, the outrageously sexy shoes (Faconnable from Nordstrom.com) cost more than twice the total of the dress and sweater. The moral of the story: a successful mix of the cheap and the costly often works best with classic styles. Think of simple pullover sweaters, shirtwaist dresses. Consider wearing a Gap t-shirt under a classic cashmere sweater. Spend more on the interview suit and layer it over a colorful, inexpensive Old Navy t-shirt. Splurge a little on items that you'll wear for many seasons (coats, suits) and less on basic building blocks (t-shirts, black tights, white shirts). Don't break the bank on jeans, but spend as much as you can comfortably afford on good footwear. You'll never regret it and you'll look sharp everytime!

3 comments:

Time4Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Time4Grace said...

More great tips. Now, if I can only knock off a few cups sizes. (Some how I still think "what the heck will I do with this bust?")
Living large,
Me

LAWhite said...

Your comment made me laugh out loud! Just keep filling out those sweaters.

Love ya!