Sunday, August 23, 2009

Going Over - Part II

I traveled in high style through no effort of my own!

One of my gym buddies works for the airline that I used for this trip and upgraded my lowly economy seat to first class. Here’s what up about first class: yards of leg room; large, comfortable, infinitely adjustable seats; fluffy pillows; a real blanket that probably won’t give you a rash. Folks aren’t packed into the compartment like sardines--it’s a much more humane way to fly. Granted, I’ll be returning to the States in the cattle compartment, but oh! this is the way to go.

Was offered a glass of sparkling wine before the plane left the runway. A flight attendant rolled a cart down the aisles asking passengers if they would like today’s newspaper or a magazine. Flight attendants introduced themselves to me. How wonderful! How perfectly civilized! This is what it means to honor someone else’s humanity and treat them well. Pay attention, exceed their expectations, bring them joy.

The entrees for the evening meal included medallions of pork tenderloin, grilled steak, and shrimp. I ordered crab cakes and a second glass of sparkling wine to accompany the meal. The crab cakes were served with tropical fruit salsa, herbed lemon risotto, and sautéed asparagus. So different from my typical Friday meal of pizza, leftover pasta, or half a roasted chicken with three sides from the Fresh Grocer. Ordered caramel flan for dessert. Champagne flowed freely. Choice of liquors. Cheese and fruit tray as a dessert option.

Blissfully quiet. No banshee wails from tired, impatient infants. No restless toddlers kicking the back of my chair. Personal video screen on which I watched the “Cher & Elvis” edition of “Trading Spaces.” Had my choice of movies, television programs, or music specials to watch. Could even make my own CD!

Complimentary flight survival kit included a mini toothbrush, minty toothpaste, cozy socks, eye shades, lotion, lip balm and earplugs. Sweet. Passengers ate off of real plates, with real glass and silverware and spotless white cloth napkins. Staff was solicitous, kind, personable. I felt like a celeb.

There was a light breakfast available the next morning as we coasted into Europe: vanilla yogurt, honey nut granola, dried banana chips, almonds, raspberries and blackberries. Moist cranberry walnut bread. Pulpy orange juice. Bottled water, coffee or tea.

Traveling in style. Every need was anticipated. My humanity was respected; I was just a little sad to get off the plane.

No comments: