Saturday, August 22, 2009

Going Over - Part I

It is amazing how many people dress like they’re cleaning out the basement when they're traveling. I have seen more shower shoes, baggy, shapeless capris, pajama bottoms, unlaced work boots and faded polos than I would find at a frat house charity car wash. Folks don’t get it -- you don’t have to look like an orphan to be comfortable. I would never suggest wearing a form fitting jacket and pencil skirt with pantyhose on an overnight flight, but there are many attractive alternatives for travel.

A hoodie as your in-flight Linus blanket is fine, but please leave the funky, frayed, stained ones at home. After all, you’ll probably find a cuter one with a fresher design at your destination. And, please comb your hair. Do you want to look like you just crawled out from under a coverlet?

Consider cotton knit yoga pants and layered lightweight tees (with spandex to hold their shape). A forgiving, hip length wrap sweater goes everywhere and over everything. A lightweight merino wool can span three seasons and will impart the air of sophisticated tourista. The Gap sells supersoft cotton cardigans under their Gap Body line that are perfect for travel.

Don’t wear big white Reebox or New Balance unless you’re planning to conduct a step aerobics class at 30,000 feet. Tap into your inner ballerina and slip into a gorgeous pair of silver or bronze flats. Flat heel, rounded toe, easy to remove for airport security. Jeans are always great for travel, but consider pairing them with a low ankle boot or sharp spectator oxford. And please, please keep the "Juicy" off of your butt. I can guarantee you that nobody wants to see that.

I saw two travel-smart women at Philadelphia International Airport while I was waiting to board my flight. One was an older woman wearing wide-legged granite colored crinkled silk pants, a shrunken pearl gray jacket layered over a white T and ropes of clunky pearl and silver necklaces. Another was a 30-something woman wearing a loose vintage print mini dress with scary baby doll shoes that sported velvet ankle ties and 6” platform soles. Those shoes were not made for walking, but she was working the style! Just before boarding she changed into purple patent ballet flats.

Traveling to France in style - mais oui.

2 comments:

Karen M said...

LOL... back when Ashcroft was still AG, and women were having difficulties getting through security with underwire bras, I did wonder about traveling in flip-flops in tee-shirt and sweats, and bra-less, but I never did. I only thought about it.
In general, I try to look nice, since I figure I'll be treated better if I do... especially in this age of cattle chutes.
I went to Paris on a first-class upgrade once, too, and it was lovely!

LA White said...

Payback -- on the trip back to Philadelphia I was seated next to Bart Simpson. It was a long flight.