Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Hair Raising Tale

Last week a friend said to me, “women should not be slaves to their hair.” I couldn’t agree more. She recently changed her style from a head of carefree bronze-colored twists to a neatly constructed updo. She looks great in both styles, but she prefers the low maintenance path.

I was admiring her new ‘do as we chatted with two of her friends. When we segued to the subject of hairstyle vs. workout, she agreed with her friends that on the first day of a fresh ‘do it’s okay to skip the workout. After all, a woman’s gotta have one day of eye-popping gorgeousness! I mentioned women I’ve known who avoid workouts – and forgo the life-changing benefits of improved health – because of “hair issues.” I’ve heard otherwise sensible women complain about lugging hair products and equipment to the gym or on vacation. I know women who will not exert themselves at all for fear of “sweating out their hair.” And others who never let their men see them without their hair done.

I’ve been a hair slave myself. Spent lots of money on perms, blow dryers, setting lotions, mousse, gels, and rollers of every size and color. Used a hot comb while playing James Brown’s “Hot Pants” in the background as I tried to avoid scorching my scalp. Dragged my sick and broken body to the salon for a touch-up when I should have been in bed under a doctor’s care. It was a lot of effort for perfection – perfectly straight, perfectly coiffed hair.

Eventually I got tired of bad hair days. In 1997 I went to a local barbershop to have it shorn. Made it too short for an Afro but still completely natural. Tossed out the products, appliances and accessories. And, guess what? I’ve never felt better or sexier. I don’t worry about rain, humidity, wind or sweat. Many say that it was a bold move and often end with the statement, “I wish I could wear my hair like that.” It does take a lot of nerve – it was three years for me from decision to action. But now I can workout like a warrior princess, run outdoors in a spring shower, spend the day at the beach, or make love until dawn without a care.

Is this a political statement? Maybe, but it’s personal politics. Freeing myself from an expensive, time consuming ritual. Finding a stronger sense of femininity than that proscribed by tradition and popular culture. Redefining beauty. Creating a new self.

So now I swing my earrings instead of my hair -- they don’t mind the rain, either. And much love to my wonderful barber, Charlie Jones, who keeps me looking sharp.

No comments: