Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Favorite Item of Clothing

What else could a chilly Philly girl want?
Wait…I can only choose one?

Every cashmere sweater that I own is a favorite item of clothing!  Most of them were snagged at resale stores for between $5-20.  I’ve collected them in a rainbow of colors and assortment of styles.  I have long sleeves, ¾ length sleeves, sleeveless shells, v-necks, turtlenecks, crewnecks, boyfriend style pullovers, sexy wraps, and traditional cardis. 

Why do I love them?  They’re as soft as kittens but won’t shred my curtains.  I can cocoon in cashmere, cozied in an otherworldly warmth.  Cashmere is chic!  Cashmere sweaters are low maintenance!  Yes, you can and should hand wash cashmere.  Forget about dry cleaning!  It’s important to keep PERC out of your personal environment and even more important to keep your money in your pocket. 

The best deals can be found at resale shops in July when most fashionistas are focused on airy sundresses and halter tops. This is when gently used cashmere sweaters languish on racks.  My favorite spots in Philly to find these treasures include Second Time Around (STA) on Chestnut Street near 18th, Green Street Consignment at 7th and South Streets, and The Wardrobe Boutique at 19th and Spring Garden Streets.  Tip--when you go to STA check out the $5 rack in the back of the store.  Don’t be afraid to pick up something that has a bit of dirt--check to see if you can rub some it out before buying.  If it’s not an ink, blood, or red wine stain, you’ve pretty much got it made.

One of my co-workers recently said, “How many more cashmere sweaters do I need?”  My immediate thought was, “Why limit yourself?” 

No comments: